Yet to link your Aadhaar with mobile SIM number? Don’t worry! From today, you need not have to visit the store of your telecom provider and can avail OTP-based service.
In a major relief, the Unique Identification Authority has said customers can start linking their mobile number with Aadhaar using a one-time password from 1 December.
The UIDAI took to the Twitter and wrote, “By 1 Dec 2017, you can also choose to verify your mobile SIM with Aadhaar without giving your biometrics to Telecom Service Providers.”
The move will be useful for people who face a problem with fingerprint authentication, owing to poor fingerprint quality, disability or old age.
Here’s how you can link Aadhaar with mobile SIM via OTP:
1. Subscribers will enable a scheme to use OTP-based verification for mobile users through SMS or voiced-based IVRS call or via the mobile app.
2. Subscribers need to message Aadhaar number from their registered mobile numbers.
3. The service providers will then do a demographic verification of the number.
4. After the verification process, the service provider will send OTP request to UIDAI.
5. UIDAI will send the OTP to the mobile number
6. The user will send this OTP to the registered mobile number
7. The e-KYC verification process is complete.
The government is seeking to re-verify mobile numbers with Aadhaar to weed out users who may have used a fake identity to get SIM cards.
All SIM cards not linked to Aadhaar will be deactivated and the last date for the same is February 6, 2018.
Aadhaar-based e-KYC is essential for subscribers going for new SIMs. Further, the government has asked mobile operators to re-verify existing prepaid and postpaid customers, with the help of the 12-digit unique identity number. The re-verification exercise is scheduled to be completed by early 2018.
From insurance policies to mobile SIM, the UIDAI has mandated the Aadhaar for carrying out a number of tasks.
As the Aadhaar registration requires an individual’s biometric information, hence the chances of duplication are almost impossible.
Aadhaar is a 12 digit unique-identity number issued to all Indian residents based on their biometric and demographic data.