Sony joined the growing number of manufacturers to begin upgrading its devices to Android 7.0 Nougat, starting with the Xperia X Performance. Today, it officially announced details of that update, and confirmed its immediate availability for its Xperia XZ flagship too.
Among the features in the update, owners of eligible devices can expect:
- Multi-window support – multitasking made easy; run two apps simultaneously and double tap to switch between each
- Longer battery life – do more for longer, with improved battery life powered by Google & Sony Xperia
- Messaging – more ways to tell your story with our latest Messaging app, enabling you to share videos and audio with a few taps
- Manual camera settings control – all-new manual focus and shutter speed controls, now available for Xperia X Performance
- Home screen – a smarter and more personal Xperia home screen, with Google Now integration
You can get a further overview of what to expect from Sony’s Android 7.0 update in the video below:
Aside from the Xperia X Performance and Xperia XZ, the full list of Sony devices eligible for the Nougat upgrade is as follows:
- Xperia Z3+
- Xperia Z4 Tablet
- Xperia Z5
- Xperia Z5 Compact
- Xperia Z5 Premium
- Xperia X
- Xperia XA
- Xperia XA Ultra
- Xperia X Compact
As you may have spotted, there’s one notable addition there compared with the list that Sony published in August: the Xperia X Compact, which was revealed a week later. Unfortunately, the Xperia Z3 won’t be getting the Nougat upgrade, despite that being the only device for which Sony supported the Android N Developer Preview earlier this year.
Significantly, Sony states that timing and availability of the update for the Xperia X Performance “will vary by region and/or operator”, adding that “most models [are] supported but some operator/market exceptions will apply.”
As for the other devices on the list, while Sony has begun its upgrade program today, it will no doubt take a while before the update reaches every eligible device.
Please comment below if you have any query.